The limestone substratum of Monte Generoso offers ideal conditions for a rich flora and is the habitat of more than 800 plant species. The most typical one is the Peony.
The limestone substratum of Monte Generoso offers ideal conditions for a rich flora and is the habitat of more than 800 plant species. Some of these don’t grow anywhere else in Switzerland. Visitors cannot help but be captivated by the botanical treasures of this mountain, which is steeped in natural beauty. The flowers are larger and more luminous than those encountered in the lowlands. This phenomenon is due to the intense, energy-rich sunlight at higher altitudes.
Monte Generoso is an exciting, seemingly inexhaustible treasure trove for fans of rare plants and, of course, for anyone who loves beauty.
Note: The picking of plants is strictly prohibited by law!
The list of some of the flowers that you can discover at Monte Generoso:
- Peony, Peonia (Paeonia officinalis)
- White Asphodel (Asphodeles albus)
- Bear’s Ear Primrose, Auricula (Primula auricula)
- Poet's Narcissus, Pheasant's-eye Daffodil (Narcissus poeticus)
- Tufted Lousewort (Pedicularis gyroflexa)
- Silvery Yarrow (Achillea clavenae)
- Fringed Pink (Dianthus hyssopifolius)
- Scentless Feverfew (Tanacetum corymbosum)
- French Meadow-rue (Thalictrum aquilegiifolium)
- Willow Gentian (Gentiana asclepiadea)
- Narcissus-flowered Anemone (Anemone narcissiflora)
- Yellow Thistle (Cirsium erisithales)
- Christmas Rose (Helleborus niger)
- Autumn Crocus, Meadow Saffron (Colchicum autumnale)
- Cyclamen (Cyclamen purpurascens)
…and many orchids